Monday, August 31, 2009

Preparing the boat

August 2009--I've spent most of the month getting the boat ready for the trip to Mexico. In the past few weeks I have installed an underdeck autopilot (Raymarine) installed cooling fans in the cabin, and installed the Viking Liferaft that I purchased on E-Bay. I have also installed solar panels and additional batteries. I still need to install the new Raymarine Chartplotter, AIS and Satellite Radio--which will bring the boat's electronics up to date.

I've debated about whether to buy and install a radar. I've decided to do without one for a while and see how it goes. After much discussion, Claudia and I have also decided to do without refrigeration. We will rely on the boat's large, well-insulated icebox, and stock it with ice, for the time being. Doing without refrigeration means we can get by with smaller, cheaper solar panels, a smaller battery bank, alternator, etc., which will keep our costs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment